Monday, April 9, 2007

"It all makes sense now"

You know what they say about hindsight. Today was Monday, and my co-worker Matt was late to the office this morning. No big deal, I know he was working this weekend on some off-hours project. It is the IT department after all.
I run around a lot on Mondays and Thursday mornings - some of you know those are the big pricing days where I work with the CEO. When I returned to the IT dept Matt was surrounded by several people who were expressing concern about his wife. Knowing that she's been feeling poor lately, I asked what was wrong.
With characteristic vagary in tone, Matt says She's pregnant.
My automatic Congratulations! is followed by somebody's inquiry about the due date. It will be August.
I'm doing the math in my head as Matt says It all makes sense now.
Altogether now, with surfer dude incredulity: whoa!
Kids are a HUGE deal. Every time I'm in a restaurant with a screaming kid I wonder, did your parents know what they were getting into? But being pregnant for nearly five months and not know about it? Just about the only advantage to the long gestation period is the time to get parents used to the idea.
Fortunately for Matt and Becky, that opinion seems to be limited to just me...

No comments: