Monday, April 2, 2007

from a movie

I would never have seen the movie if Cingular hadn't given J free passes. It was a metaphysical missmash that broke my willing suspension of disbelief. However, I enjoyed the mental activity of my philosophical dialog with the movie's concepts. Not too challenging, so it was an indulgence of sorts.
I read an (unfavorable) review afterward that 2/3 of "Peaceful Warrior" is recognizable from every "inspired by true events" sports movie every produced. Fortunately, I am not an "inspiring sports movie" enthusiast. The philosophy, sounded quietly by Nick Nolte, promotes intense attention to surroundings and service to others while denying indulgence of the proud, overconfident ego.
The man has a voice that makes me want to hear him read Shakespeare. But when he spoke gravelly of journeys being more important than destinations, I quivered as my brain automatically applied that "insight" to my last 3 1/2 years. It could explain why I have no regrets about all the enjoyable and stimulating time Matt and I spent together.
It's a useless insight however, because of its indulgence. It joins the throngs of people that observe me and tell me that I'm doing well. I'm ok. I appreciate the gesture, but the surface observation doesn't notice my inward weariness.
Yesterday the sermon covered the first part of Acts 3. If we see ourselves in the passage, the healing of the lame man becomes a metaphor for each Christian's salvation. The salvific act performed by Jesus, through faith in Jesus was accomplished in me a long time ago. I feel now, far more than I did during my first round of spiritual searching 15-17 years ago, in need of healing. I also believe, despite the insight of the Peaceful Warrior, that I won't feel it until my ultimate "Destination."

No comments: