Sunday, August 10, 2008

era passing

Starting in 1997 (when I left WV for college), I was relocating all my worldly belongings at least twice a year. After graduation, the frequency increased to a whopping four times between June & August of 2002. Finally in late summer of 2003 I finally settled in my own apartment. I loved living alone. I enjoyed my job, the nature of which actually encouraged me to keep reasonable hours so I could develop a social life. Oklahoma City was growing & changing, for the better! Yet I had a strange feeling in my stomach as I walked down to the office to renew my lease on the apartment. Restless? Extraordinarily so. Was it time to find a new apartment?
Rationality prevailed over romanticism ... month to month rent would have increased my living expenses 5%.
As I pride myself in my self-attributed ability (or perhaps propensity) for adaptation it does not protect me from the emotions pouring out of me today. The ordinary movement of life requires a cycle of "hello, nice to meet you" through "goodbye my friend, I will miss you." It is what it is - the time between is what varies. The tragedy is in lost company but there is joy in the prospect of reunion in another state.
So, goodbye my friends. I will miss you.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Where you be going? Are you leaving us here in OKC?