Monday, June 4, 2007

Golf

I've never played golf, so every spring when my employer hosts a golf tournament, my practice was to attend the BBQ afterward and collect my free stuff. The cash given to the winners never really enticed me. Honestly, the free stuff wasn't much of a draw either, I believe I was out on a motorcycle the two prior years.
Motorcycles are currently out of my reach, and as I like to try new things, golf was in this year. One of the accounting managers loaned me her clubs and I was added to a group with three actual players. And my golf-cart partner (Roger) was the closest to my age of the three. People murmured prayers to the golf gods as I strolled down toward the carts...but what really made the afternoon was the great weather (no wind? in Oklahoma?) and Roger came prepared with a cooler for all our beer.
It was a four-man scramble - but I had a *decent* showing. Actually, my first drive was my best all day. I also managed to sink a putt for us - which felt especially good because putting was Roger's specialty. Having cold beer also helped. I couldn't drink a can fast enough before the beer got warm - so I kept pouring out cans and grabbing a cold one.
Our team finished under par, by 3 I think? And I slept really well Saturday night.
Will I play again? Absolutely! Will I buy clubs and a golf membership before a Honda? Open road beats greener pastures every time.

No comments: