Sunday, September 23, 2007

State Fair diversion

My upper respiratory infection didn't stop me from enjoying the variety of Heather's birthday week. We started with an Alice Peacock concert at Lit last weekend and ended with the Oklahoma State Fair yesterday. In between I missed two days of work...that fever just wouldn't stay down.
Amy brought Caleb--who enjoyed steppin' out of his stroller for the first time. Firmly corralled between Heather, Rebecca, or me, he actually strut all around the buildings. The first stop was for me and Heather: cooking demonstrations. When you saute beef stir-fry, you know you're supposed to cook the veggies first and then remove them while you cook the beef? I didn't...and the samples were perfectly al dente (can you say that about vegetables?) unlike the sloppy mess my stir-fry usually turn out. Caleb was bored with that building, so we headed out for the next event.
Which only proves that if something can be motivated, people will race it. And if there's racing, more people will watch. Yes, we attended Swifty Swine Productions' pig races. I didn't peer behind the bleachers, but no money changed hands! Just the aforementioned motivation: oreos.
Caleb got a much bigger thrill out of the petting zoo and the baby chicks in the FFA exhibit. Just like I got a bigger thrill out of the car building. No Hondas...I guess Toyota (who took up a sizable chunk of the showroom) can't take the foreign competition. Out of the car makers there, Jeep's 2008 line most impressed me - except the concept car looked like Hummer merged with Playskool. Hopefully my Honda will last long enough for Tesla to come up with a suitable 4-wheeler.
As for fair food: I'll have to go back next year and try something else. Indian Tacos, of which I have experience several exhalations, are smothered in cheese. Deep fried stuff hasn't enticed me for years: I always regret it later, like soda. The kabobs were forgettable, but the roast corn was worth more than the $3 I paid. Next time I'll try the turkey leg.
Oh yes, there will be a next time. Blood will tell, apparently: hopefully my farm boy Dad and country girl Mom can join me.

No comments: